The Job Foundation believes that financial education happens in the classroom and in real-life situations. Elementary and middle school students learn hands-on during supervised Shopping Days. In high school, student have the opportunity and responsibility of having their card with them year around.
"During my years in the program, I've learned a lot about checks, banking, credit unions, and more. This program also helped me with keeping up with schoolwork, getting a job, paying bills, and other important things about life. [The Job Foundation] may also give students motivation to do well in school because you have to work hard for your earnings by having good grades. I like The Job Foundation program because of the help it's given me over the years, and because it also is getting me ready for my future."
- NAVAEH, SOPHOMORE AT WEST HIGH SCHOOL
The Job Foundation's Conditional Cash Earnings program provides a unique opportunity for students to learn financial literacy while earning money. During fiscal year 2021-22, a total of $73,632.50 was awarded to students. Approximately 60% of student earnings are held for them in a long-term savings account. This establishes a foundation for financial success upon graduating from the program. The remaining 40% of earnings may be spent during supervised shopping trips. Students fill out a spending plan, choose to donate money to charity, decide if they want to save extra money, balance their checkbook register, and learn about comparison shopping to help them make wise financial decisions.
The organization strives to provide an effective financial literacy program to ensure students have the tools necessary to take control of their financial future. The Job Foundation sets a long-term savings goal of $3,400 for students to achieve. Currently, 76% of students (an increase from 72%) are on track to achieve their financial goal upon graduation.
Spending Behaviors of Students
in FY 2021-22
"I have been in The Job Foundation since 3rd grade. My favorite thing about the program is learning new things about money and making friends. Also, I have the opportunity to learn about subjects that I would have never learned outside of The Job Foundation."
- JAYLEN, 7TH GRADER AT CARVER MIDDLE SCHOOL
WHEN STUDENTS ARE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY:
Donated to Charities
Saved Extra Money
BENEFITS OF MENTORING
According to Youth.gov, mentoring is essential to child development because children with mentors have:
Increased high school graduation rates
Healthier relationships and lifestyle choices
Better attitude about school
Higher college enrollment rates and higher educational aspirations
Enhanced self-esteem and self-confidence
Improved behavior, both at home and at school
Stronger relationships with parents, teachers, and peers
Improved interpersonal skills
Decreased likelihood of initiating drug and alcohol use